[Openstack] Create VMs with Power architecture(ppc64) on OpenStack running on x86_64 nodes??

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Mon Nov 19 21:39:19 UTC 2018

On Mon, 2018-11-19 at 14:48 -0600, Chris Friesen wrote:
> On 11/19/2018 10:25 AM, Yedhu Sastri wrote:
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I have some use-cases which I want to test in PowerPC
> > architecture(ppc64). As I dont have any Power machines I would like to
> > try it with ppc64 VM's. Is it possible to run these kind of VM's on my
> > OpenStack cluster(Queens) which runs on X86_64 architecture nodes(OS
> > RHEL 7)??
> >
> > I set the image property architecture=ppc64 to the ppc64 image I
> > uploaded to glance but no success in launching VM with those images. I
> > am using KVM as hypervisor(qemu 2.10.0) in my compute nodes and I think
> > it is not built to support power architecture. For testing without
> > OpenStack I manually built qemu on a x86_64 host with ppc64
> > support(qemu-ppc64) and then I am able to host the ppc64 VM. But I dont
> > know how to do this on my OpenStack cluster. Whether I need to manually
> > build qemu on compute nodes with ppc64 support or I need to add some
> > lines in my nova.conf to do this?? Any help to solve this issue would be
> > much appreciated.
>
> I think that within an OpenStack cluster you'd have to dedicate a whole
> compute node to running ppc64 and have it advertise the architecture as
> ppc64.  Then when you ask for "architecture=ppc64" it should land on
> that node.
you know it says it for arm but you might be able to do this by setting
hw_machine_type https://github.com/openstack/glance/blob/master/etc/metadefs/compute-libvirt-image.json#L34
i know you can set the hw_machine_type to set teh default for all instace on a host
https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/configuration/config.html#libvirt.hw_machine_type
but i can rememebr it image property is alys used or if its just used for arm as the docs suggest.

the hypervisor_type in the image should be set to qemu to make sure you avoid the kvm hosts as they will not work
for cpu emulation.