[edge] Zero Touch Provisioning

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 13:25:50 UTC 2018

On 12/21/2018 01:40 AM, Zhipeng Huang wrote:
> ICYMI:
> https://blog.ipspace.net/2018/12/zero-touch-provisioning-with-patrick_20.html

 From that article:

"ZTP can be used internally connecting to an internal provisioning
server, and it can be used externally connecting to an external
provisioning server. Some commercial products use ZTP in connection with
a vendor-controlled cloud-based provisioning server."

Funny, that's almost exactly what I said in my original response on this
thread :)

> Shall we collect items of OCP/OpenStack components that could composite
> a ZTP stack somewhere ?

Sure, just make sure we're being explicit about the things we're
discussing. If you want to focus exclusively on *network device*
provisioning, that's fine, but that should be explicitly stated.

Network device provisioning is an important but ultimately tiny part of
infrastructure provisioning. Unfortunately, most of the telco and
network OEM community (understandably) only refer to network device
provisioning when they talk about "ZTP".

Also, the less this can be pidgeon-holed into the amorphous "edge"
category, the better, IMHO ;)

Best,
-jay