[edge] Zero Touch Provisioning

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 13:03:29 UTC 2018

On 12/20/2018 07:12 AM, Curtis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been looking through the docs I can find related to the edge
> working group, and I'm wondering if there has been any
> discussion/documentation of a Zero Touch Provisioning use case. I can't
> seem to find anything, but I may not be looking in the right place. Just
> wanted to double check and see what the current state is, if any.

I take it that by "zero touch *provisioning*" (emphasis added to
differentiate from zero *configuration* networking, you are referring to
the ability for a new server to be rack-and-stacked in a site, powered
on, and immediately register itself with either a local inventory
management system or a remote one?

In either case, the issue I foresee is that the firmware (or initial
boot/ramdisk that comes from the factory or supply chain team) will need
to have some program installed in it that sends out a request looking
for some known/assumed inventory management service [1]. The thing that
*responds* to such a request would, of course, need to be already
installed and available either on a switch or a pre-installed machine
pingable on the out-of-band network and already configured by the team
that handles hardware inventory.

I can see some vendors working on their own custom low-touch
provisioning software -- and this software would likely end up depending
on their own proprietary (or subscription-based) server software ala Red
Hat's Satellite software [2]). But getting all the vendors to come
together on a unified low-touch provisioning system? Chances are pretty
slim, IMHO.

Still, it's an interesting problem domain and I'd be interested in
sharing thoughts and discussing it with others. Here at
"Yahoo!/Oath/Verizon Media Group/Whatever we'll be called next month" we
have custom software (and a bit of custom hardware!) that handles base
hardware provisioning and I'm definitely interested in seeing if other
shops that handle hundreds of thousands of baremetal machines are
looking to collaborate in this area ("edge" or otherwise!).

Best,
-jay

[1] this could be done via some custom DHCPDISCOVER/DHCPREQUEST bits I
suppose -- which would require a DHCP client in the firmware/bootdisk --
but more likely would depend on the IPMI/BMC system in use for the
hardware. As soon as IPMI/BMC comes into play, the extreme differences
in OEM vendor support will rule out a generic workable solution here as
many in the Ironic community will likely attest to [3]. If you can rely
on a homogeneous set of hardware at edge sites, you might be able to put
something together that just suits your company's need, however.

[2] https://www.redhat.com/en/technologies/management/satellite

[3] https://github.com/openstack/ironic/tree/master/ironic/drivers