[all] Please help document dependencies between services

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Dec 20 10:48:15 UTC 2018

Hi everyone,

As Jimmy announced[1] a couple of weeks ago, we need your help in
compiling accurate dependency information between OpenStack services, to
display in future versions of the openstack.org/software pages[2].

Each OpenStack service may have hard dependencies (can't work without)
or soft dependencies (benefits of the presence of) on other services,
and that is very useful information for users looking into various
OpenStack components.

You can help accurately document those, by proposing changes to the
openstack/openstack-map repository[3], looking up your service in the
openstack_components.yaml file and adding the following keys:

dependencies: (for hard dependencies, when the service can't work
without those other services)

see-also: (for soft dependencies, when the service benefits of the
presence of those other services)

As an example, you can look at Octavia's entry[4].

Once we have that information compiled, we'll be able to publish it on
the website, adding links between related services.

Thanks in advance,

[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2018-December/000568.html
[2]