[swift] Putting Swift storage disks to sleep

John Dickinson me at not.mn
Wed Dec 19 15:39:22 UTC 2018

There is no way to use raw disks in Swift. Swift requires drives to have a filesystem that supports (large) xattrs. We strongly recommend using XFS.

I'm not sure why you are trying to sleep the drives; Swift is designed to keep drives spinning all the time (via spreading requests across all drives and continually performing background checks). In fact, oftentimes deployers replace "green" firmware with firmware that does not sleep the drives. If you are trying to simulate failures, unmounting the drives should be sufficient. If you are trying to simply reduce power consumption, temporarily putting drives to sleep is likely to be a lot of work (ie code changes) to do effectively and likely to not yield significant results. For power savings, I'd recommend looking at lower powered CPUs first and switching to lower powered storage (eg flash) second.

--John