[Cinder] cinder-volume connection problem when creating the instance

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Wed Dec 19 15:37:28 UTC 2018

> > 2018-12-19 22:06:00.007 2657 ERROR cinder.volume.manager
> > [req-b3178448-4e17-489b-8267-2fd7992bc876 - - - - -] Failed to initialize
> > driver.: ProcessExecutionError: Unexpected error while running command.
> > Command: sudo cinder-rootwrap /etc/cinder/rootwrap.conf env LC_ALL=C vgs
> > --version
> > Exit code: 1
> > Stdout: u''
> > Stderr: u'sudo: no tty present and no askpass program specified\n'

This appears to be the problem, or at least one of them.

The account the cinder services are running under (usually "cinder") needs to
be able to perform password-less sudo calls to execute some of the privileged
calls needed to set up and interact with storage.

I thought typically the system packages used in the install guides would create
this user and set the appropriate permissions to do that. But something may
have been modified on your system that is causing it to require a password on
sudo calls, which as a headless service will not work.

I don't have any systems that have that issue to verify with, but I believe if
you run "visudo" and explicitly set cinder to NOPASSWD, you should then be able
to restart the service and get better results.

Sean