Backporting networking-ansible to Queens

Dan Radez dradez at redhat.com
Tue Dec 18 16:00:39 UTC 2018

On 12/12/18 4:44 PM, Dan Radez wrote:
> We have requested to add ansible-runner and update the version of
> python-pexpect from 4.3 to 4.5 in the openstack-requirements repository.
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/624048
>
> This is in effort to enable the networking-ansible ML2 driver in
> Queens. It was developed as part of the Rocky development cycle.
>
> We understood that this is outside the structure of standard practice
> and would like to request an exception for this change in light of
> it's low risk.
>
> We have customers that are asking for this ML2 driver to be enabled in
> our product that is based on Queens. We would like to push these
> changes to upstream first. This exposes the community to this code and
> prevents the need to carry patches downstream.
>
> This ML2 driver is an add on feature that should carry little to no
> technical debt for the stable/Queens code base. Python-pexpect need to
> be updated and we will update Triple-o to enable it to install and
> configure the new driver. Otherwise the backport consists of adding
> the ansible-runner dependency and packaging the code for the
> networking-ansible ML2 driver. End users are impacted only when they
> choose to install the feature and enable it.
>
> Thank you for your consideration,
>
> Dan Radez

python-pexpect is used by a small handful of projects. There a chance
that pyyaml may have to be bumped one minor version as well. These
changes seem to be a fairly low impact for networking-ansible's
dependency updates.

The community is not being asked to take on any more maintenance or
spend extra time as a result of this backport. The requirements update
for the backport has passed all of its tests.

While this is an unusual request, our hope is the value for us and for
queens users can be seen. In light of the low risk and the expected zero
additional time/maintenance could an exception be made to approve this
update to happen?

Dan Radez