[all] Service-specific configuration options

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 04:26:02 UTC 2018

On 12/17/2018 10:46 AM, Stephen Finucane wrote:
> Secondly, I didn't see anything in the
> likes of cinder, nova or neutron but has anyone else already worked on
> something like this? For what it's worth, I did explain why I've gone
> with the approach I have in the commit message, but that doesn't mean
> there aren't other options I could be missing.

When Markus Zoeller was originally doing the nova config option cleanup
[1] which included centralizing everything under nova/conf/ and also
updating the documentation on all options to have a standard format, he
also included a list of which services used each option. Over time that
was dropped, presumably because (1) it's hard as hell to maintain with
as many options as nova has and as much code motion that nova has and
(2) it's hard to know if it is useful at all given I expect most people
are pushing config option changes to a single nova.conf that gets pushed
to all of their services (there are especially some options which simply
don't work if they aren't in nova-api and nova-compute for example
[reclaim_instance_interval]). John Garbutt and/or Michael Still might
remember more, but that's my recollection.

So I'd rather not re-open this can of worms. If a particular option or
set of options are hairy with service configuration, then call those out
specifically in the help for those options.

Having said that, I recently helped someone in IRC who couldn't figure
out how to get vendor data from the metadata API into the config drive
and it was because they weren't setting some metadata API config options
in nova-compute where the config drive is built. That was likely due to
confusion because the "vendordata_jsonfile_path" option in nova is in
the [api] group which would naturally make one think that's only needed
in nova-api, but it's also used in nova-compute when building a config
drive. As a result, I opted to cleanup the help and our docs [2].

Anyway, I think we've got wayyyyy bigger problems to solve than dig back
into a multi-release effort to document where all of our config options
are used.

[1]
https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/mitaka/implemented/centralize-config-options.html
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/624518/