[all] Service-specific configuration options

Stephen Finucane sfinucan at redhat.com
Mon Dec 17 16:46:56 UTC 2018

I proposed a WIP change for oslo.config [1] last week that would allow
us to specify what services (e.g. nova-compute, nova-scheduler, nova-
api, etc.) an option applies to. This came about because of comments on
another issue where we found no one could say with surety what services
needed an option in their configuration option (which in turn brought
up questions about why those services needed the option). It was
suggested I bring the idea up on the mailing list before we proceeded
any further with it so here I am.

I'm interested in two things. Firstly, I'd like to know whether
generation of per-service configuration files is actually something
others find problematic? I'm imagining this is annoying for operators
and those working on deployment tooling but I've never got any hard
data to back up that assumption. Secondly, I didn't see anything in the
likes of cinder, nova or neutron but has anyone else already worked on
something like this? For what it's worth, I did explain why I've gone
with the approach I have in the commit message, but that doesn't mean
there aren't other options I could be missing.

Stephen

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/625011/

PS: I've tagged this [all] as enumerating the projects this actually
affected left me with at least a dozen tags before I was even done.
Sorry for any possible noise.