[tc] Technical Committee Status for 17 Dec 2081

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Dec 17 18:16:39 UTC 2018

This is the (mostly) weekly summary of work being done by the Technical
Committee members. The full list of active items is managed in the
wiki: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Technical_Committee_Tracker

We also track TC objectives for the cycle using StoryBoard at:
https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/project/923

== Recent Activity ==

Project updates:

* Add os-resource-classes under Nova:
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/621699/

Other updates:

* I added a TC "house rule" for voting on updates to the release
  management metadata for projects, to make it easier to keep those up
  to date: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/622989/
* Thierry has been working on a series of changes on behalf of the
  release management team to record the release management style used
  for each deliverable listed in the governance repository.
** https://review.openstack.org/#/c/622902/
** https://review.openstack.org/#/c/622903/
** https://review.openstack.org/#/c/622904/
** https://review.openstack.org/#/c/624704/
** https://review.openstack.org/#/c/624951/
** https://review.openstack.org/#/c/624996/
* I updated the documentation of chair responsibilities to include the
  OSF annual report: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/624790/
* Lance proposed an update to document the process for changing PTLs in
  the middle of a cycle: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/620928/
* Ghanshyam proposed an update to clarify the term of TC chair, since
  some responsibilities include managing the election fo the next chair:
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/621498/
* Zane's resolution describing how we will keep up with future Python 3
  releases has been approved: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/613145/
* Thierry and Chris' work to document the role of the TC has been
  approved: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/622400/
* I documented the official topic tags used to designate the voting
  rules to apply to each governance patch:
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/625004/

== TC Meetings ==

The next TC meeting will be 3 December @ 1400 UTC in #openstack-tc. See
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/#Technical_Committee_Meeting for details

== Ongoing Discussions ==

Ghanshyam has proposed an enhancement to the Vision for OpenStack Clouds
to cover feature discovery.

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/621516/

I have proposed an update to the TC house voting rules to cover
documentation changes in the governance repository.

* https://review.openstack.org/625005

Dougal Matthews is stepping down as Mistral PTL, to be replaced by Renat
Akhmerov.

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/625537/

== TC member actions/focus/discussions for the coming week(s) ==

We need to work to approve Sean's patch with the Stein supported/testing
runtimes list.

* https://review.openstack.org/611080

Thierry started a thread on the mailing list about adapting our office
hours times. It would be good for us to resolve that so we can make the
change after the new year, so I have renewed the thread with a summary
of the options. Please vote.

* http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2018-December/001036.html

== Contacting the TC ==

The Technical Committee uses a series of weekly "office hour" time
slots for synchronous communication. We hope that by having several
such times scheduled, we will have more opportunities to engage
with members of the community from different timezones.

Office hour times in #openstack-tc:

- 09:00 UTC on Tuesdays
- 01:00 UTC on Wednesdays
- 15:00 UTC on Thursdays

If you have something you would like the TC to discuss, you can add
it to our office hour conversation starter etherpad at:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tc-office-hour-conversation-starters

Many of us also run IRC bouncers which stay in #openstack-tc most
of the time, so please do not feel that you need to wait for an
office hour time to pose a question or offer a suggestion. You can
use the string "tc-members" to alert the members to your question.

You will find channel logs with past conversations at
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/

If you expect your topic to require significant discussion or to
need input from members of the community other than the TC, please
start a mailing list discussion on openstack-discuss at
lists.openstack.org
and use the subject tag "[tc]" to bring it to the attention of TC
members.

--
Doug