can't login to a compute node deployed using ironic

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Fri Dec 14 00:46:23 UTC 2018

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018, at 10:18 PM, Manuel Sopena Ballesteros wrote:
> Dear Openstack user group,
>
> I am playing with Ironic and have a very stupid question...
>
> For some reason I can't login to the server after deployment.  Server
> status is ACTIVE and I am using the adminPass provided by openstack .
>
> The way I connect is through server console through the IPMI console (not ssh).
>
> [root at openstack-deployment ~]# openstack server create --image 760f4076-
> 4f2d-455b-89b5-6c1248148f70 --flavor my-baremetal-flavor --network hpc
> demo1
> +-------------------------------------
> +------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Field                               | Value
> |
> +-------------------------------------
> +------------------------------------------------------------+
> | OS-DCF:diskConfig                   | MANUAL
> |
> | OS-EXT-AZ:availability_zone         |
> |
> | OS-EXT-SRV-ATTR:host                | None
> |
> | OS-EXT-SRV-ATTR:hypervisor_hostname | None
> |
> | OS-EXT-SRV-ATTR:instance_name       |
> |
> | OS-EXT-STS:power_state              | NOSTATE
> |
> | OS-EXT-STS:task_state               | scheduling
> |
> | OS-EXT-STS:vm_state                 | building
> |
> | OS-SRV-USG:launched_at              | None
> |
> | OS-SRV-USG:terminated_at            | None
> |
> | accessIPv4                          |
> |
> | accessIPv6                          |
> |
> | addresses                           |
> |
> | adminPass                           | t3TAUNwTbuD5
> |
> | config_drive                        |
> |
> | created                             | 2018-12-13T05:39:11Z
> |
> | flavor                              | my-baremetal-flavor (84abc368-
> 1695-4387-998c-8b47da1a3a34) |
> | hostId                              |
> |
> | id                                  | 5231e015-73e9-472f-bb84-
> bde9bf7e6989                       |
> | image                               | centos7.5-image (760f4076-
> 4f2d-455b-89b5-6c1248148f70)     |
> | key_name                            | None
> |
> | name                                | demo1
> |
> | progress                            | 0
> |
> | project_id                          | 0b3d8fd6015048e89f4372fb1534900b
> |
> | properties                          |
> |
> | security_groups                     | name='default'
> |
> | status                              | BUILD
> |
> | updated                             | 2018-12-13T05:39:12Z
> |
> | user_id                             | fd244f331bc34066b7a5fae72d518261
> |
> | volumes_attached                    |
> |
> +-------------------------------------
> +------------------------------------------------------------+
> [root at openstack-deployment ~]# openstack server list
> +--------------------------------------+-------+--------
> +-----------------+-----------------+---------------------+
> | ID                                   | Name  | Status | Networks
> | Image           | Flavor              |
> | 5231e015-73e9-472f-bb84-bde9bf7e6989 | demo1 | ACTIVE |
> hpc=10.0.32.119 | centos7.5-image | my-baremetal-flavor |
> [...]

I believe that the admin password must be set on first boot by a tool like cloud-init. I would double check that your image has cloud-init installed and configured to set the root user password. It is possible that it may be configuring a non root user (like 'centos') isntead of root too.

If that all checks out I would look at your servers console log (hopefully that is working) as cloud-init should log the changes it is making and hopefully that give you a clue as to what is happening.

Finally you could update the image to bake in a user and password or ssh key and log in that way then debug what is going on from there. Might even want to start here depending on how easy it is for you to modify the image.

Clark