Nova live migration fails - InvalidCPUInfo: Unacceptable CPU info: CPU doesn't have compatibility.

Erik McCormick emccormick at cirrusseven.com
Thu Dec 13 23:48:10 UTC 2018

On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 5:37 PM Torin Woltjer
<torin.woltjer at granddial.com> wrote:

> Having issues getting live migrations to functions between two compute nodes.
> One is an Opteron G4 and the other is an Opteron G5. I can migrate from the G4 to the G5 just fine. When I try to migrate an instance from the G5 node to the G4 node I get an error message:
> InvalidCPUInfo: Unacceptable CPU info: CPU doesn't have compatibility.
> This is despite having the following setting in my /etc/nova/nova.conf on the G5 machine.
>
> [libvirt]
> cpu_mode = custom
> cpu_model = Opteron_G4
>
> Is this not the setting I'm looking for? What can I do to make this work?

Generally, yes this should do the trick. So long as the lowest common
set of features is used, then you should be able to live migrate. You
can do a diff on the feature set of each host CPU with: virsh
capabilities

Did you create the instances you are trying to migrate after you
applied the setting? If not, do a cold migrate and then try the live
one again.

Did you apply the setting on both computes? I know this maybe is
obvious, but I've seen people put it on the controllers and not the
computes and wonder why it wasn't working. Doesn't hurt to ask :).

> Torin Woltjer
>
> Grand Dial Communications - A ZK Tech Inc. Company
>
> 616.776.1066 ext. 2006
> www.granddial.com

-Erik