[all][meta-sig] SIG best practices

Adam Spiers aspiers at suse.com
Thu Dec 13 17:31:29 UTC 2018

Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:
>I think the bootstrapping phase is completed now, so it's time to move
>to phase 2, which is putting some systems in place to make SIGs more
>successful. We now have enough information on the success and failures
>of early SIGs to debate what we could put in place to help them. I
>think this discussion fits right in the goals of the Meta SIG.

Makes sense.  Should I submit a review to governance-sigs adding some
suggested best practices?  Here are some ideas I proposed based on
what seems to be working fairly well so far for the Self-healing SIG:

    http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2018-December/000838.html

Having said that, I'm sure that there are other SIGs exhibiting better
momentum than the steady but modest progress we've achieved so far, so
it's entirely likely that others can come up with more effective best
practices than what sprang to my mind.

>So far the Meta SIG has been going fully async (no meeting, just ML
>discussion threads and reviews of proposed changes to the
>openstack/governance-sigs repository).

IMHO that seems to have worked pretty well so far.  I suppose we could
also set up occasional IRC meetings, e.g. every month or two?