[all][security-sig][meta-sig] Forum summary: Expose SIGs and WGs

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Dec 13 14:05:54 UTC 2018

Adam Spiers wrote:
> Matt Riedemann <mriedemos at gmail.com> wrote:
>> They did what they were asked and things have stalled. At this point,
>> I think it comes down to priorities, and in order to prioritize
>> something big like this that requires coordinated work across several
>> projects, we are going to need more stakeholders coming forward and
>> saying they also want this feature so the vendors who are paying the
>> people to work upstream can be given specific time to give this the
>> attention it needs. And that ties back into getting the top 1 or 2
>> wishlist items from each SIG and trying to sort those based on what is
>> the highest rated most common need for the greatest number of people -
>> sort of like what we see happening with the resource delete API
>> community wide goal proposal.
>
> Agreed.  The Security SIG sounds like a natural home for it.  I'm going
> to wildly speculate that maybe part of the reason it stalled is that it
> was perceived as coming from a couple of individuals rather than a SIG.
> If the initiative had been backed by the Security SIG as something worth
> prioritising, then maybe it could have received wider attention.

Yes... As much as we'd like to think the problem here is purely
technical, getting it done in an openly-collaborating community means
it's also a social problem. It will compete with a LOT of other things
to get priority.

In order to get it done, you need to make it well-known, and gather a
bit of mindshare, so that it gets on people's radar with some amount of
priority. That means the effort needs to be clearly identified (give it
a distinctive name), and a lot of communication needs to be done around
it (presentations, forum/PTG sessions, ML status reports...).

Working under a SIG umbrella definitely facilitates that "promotion"
side of the work, since SIGs already have some visibility built in. The
"top 2 wishlist per SIG" idea is just one way to encourage focusing this
promotion effort on a limited number of things at the same time, because
there is just no way you can promote 10 different things and expect them
all to stick.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)