Backporting networking-ansible to Queens

Dan Radez dradez at redhat.com
Wed Dec 12 21:44:50 UTC 2018

We have requested to add ansible-runner and update the version of
python-pexpect from 4.3 to 4.5 in the openstack-requirements repository.
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/624048

This is in effort to enable the networking-ansible ML2 driver in Queens.
It was developed as part of the Rocky development cycle.

We understood that this is outside the structure of standard practice
and would like to request an exception for this change in light of it's
low risk.

We have customers that are asking for this ML2 driver to be enabled in
our product that is based on Queens. We would like to push these changes
to upstream first. This exposes the community to this code and prevents
the need to carry patches downstream.

This ML2 driver is an add on feature that should carry little to no
technical debt for the stable/Queens code base. Python-pexpect need to
be updated and we will update Triple-o to enable it to install and
configure the new driver. Otherwise the backport consists of adding the
ansible-runner dependency and packaging the code for the
networking-ansible ML2 driver. End users are impacted only when they
choose to install the feature and enable it.

Thank you for your consideration,

Dan Radez