[all][security-sig][meta-sig] Forum summary: Expose SIGs and WGs

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Dec 12 14:23:16 UTC 2018

On 2018-12-12 13:20:44 +0000 (+0000), Adam Spiers wrote:
> Matt Riedemann <mriedemos at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> > They did what they were asked and things have stalled. At this point, I
> > think it comes down to priorities, and in order to prioritize something
> > big like this that requires coordinated work across several projects, we
> > are going to need more stakeholders coming forward and saying they also
> > want this feature so the vendors who are paying the people to work
> > upstream can be given specific time to give this the attention it needs.
> > And that ties back into getting the top 1 or 2 wishlist items from each
> > SIG and trying to sort those based on what is the highest rated most
> > common need for the greatest number of people - sort of like what we see
> > happening with the resource delete API community wide goal proposal.
>
> Agreed.  The Security SIG sounds like a natural home for it.  I'm going to
> wildly speculate that maybe part of the reason it stalled is that it was
> perceived as coming from a couple of individuals rather than a SIG. If the
> initiative had been backed by the Security SIG as something worth
> prioritising, then maybe it could have received wider attention.
[...]

We've seen Luzi and mhen in recent Security SIG weekly IRC meetings
talking about the proposed specs for Cinder, Glance and Nova.
However most of the representation in the Security SIG is from
people involved in VMT work as well as some contributors from the
Keystone and Barbican teams. As much as I'd like to say the Security
SIG is a sensible place to drive an effort like this, most teams in
OpenStack aren't really engaged in that SIG and the people who are
regulars to our meetings lack the capacity to act as project
managers in that regard.

I'm happy to state, as a participant in the Security SIG, that I
think having image encryption in OpenStack would be a great feature.
I don't expect that alone helps an awful lot though.
--
Jeremy Stanley