[all]Forum summary: Expose SIGs and WGs

Adam Spiers aspiers at suse.com
Wed Dec 12 12:28:06 UTC 2018

Rico Lin <rico.lin.guanyu at gmail.com> wrote:
>Dear all
>
>Here is the summary for forum `Expose SIGs and WGs` (etherpad [1] ).
>This concept still under development, so this is an open discussion and
>we need more feedbacks.
>Here are some general agreements on actions or ideas that we think it's
>worth to find the answer.

Thanks for driving this, Rico!  And sorry for the slow reply.

>*Set up guidelines for SIGs/WGs/Teams for interaction specific to this
>around tracking cross-project work*
>We tend to agree that we kind of lack for a guideline or a sample for
>SIGs/WGs, since all SIGs/WGs formed for different interest, we won't try to
>unify tools (unless that's what everyone agrees on) or rules for all
>groups. What we can do is to give more help to groups and provide a clear
>way for how they can set up cross-project works if they want to. Also, we
>can provide information on how to reach to users, ops, and developers and
>bridge them up. And we can even do a more general guideline or sample on
>how other SIGs/WGs are doing with their own workflow. Like self-healing SIG
>working on getting user story and feedback and use them to general better
>document/guideline for other users. Also, public cloud WG working on
>collect issues from public cloud providers and bring those issues to
>projects. Those IMO are great examples that we should put them down
>somewhere for cross SIGs/WGs consideration.

We already have some basic guidelines for communication here:

    https://governance.openstack.org/sigs/

Maybe we should just extend that with some suggested best practices?
For example:

  - Set up an openstack/$signame-sig git repository
    (we could even create a cookiecutter repo, or is that overkill?)

  - Set up a StoryBoard project linked with that git repository

  - For cross-project collaboration, recommend the following:

      - submit cross-project stories to StoryBoard

      - submit cross-project specs to the SIG's git repo
        (and the SIG lead could set up a template for these,
        e.g. http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/self-healing-sig/tree/specs/template.rst )

      - post cross-project discussion to openstack-discuss@ with
        [$signame-sig] and all the appropriate [$project] tags
        in the Subject header

>As a further idea, we can even
>discuss if it's a common interest to have a SIG to help on SIGs.

We already have that ;-)  It's the "meta" SIG, mentioned here:

    https://governance.openstack.org/sigs/

>*A workflow for tracking:*
>This kind of follow above item. If we're going to set up a workflow, what
>we can add in to help people live an easier life? This is also an idea that
>no one in the room thinks it's a bad one, so it means in long term, it
>might worth our time to provide more clear information on what exactly
>workflow that we suggest everyone use.

Doesn't StoryBoard handle tracking nicely?

>*Discuss SIG spec repo*:
>The discussion here is how can we monitoring SIGs/WGs health and track
>tasks. When talking about tasks we not just talking about bugs, but also
>features that's been considered as essential tasks for SIGs/WGs. We need a
>place to put them down in a trackable way (from a user story to a patch for
>implementation).

Again I think StoryBoard works nicely for this.

>*Ask foundation about have project update for SIGs/WGs*:
>One action we can start right now is to let SIGs/WGs present a project
>update  (or even like a session but give each group 5 mins to present).
>This should help group getting more attention. And even capable to send
>out messages like what's the most important features or bug fixes they
>need from project teams, or what's the most important tasks that are under
>planning or working on.
>Fortunately, we got Melvin Hillsman (UC) volunteer on this task.

Yes, I think this is really important.  And from personal experience
as a SIG chair, I know it would help me to have someone pestering me
to provide project updates ;-)

>The thing that we also wish to do is to clear the message here. We think
>most of the tools are already there, so we shouldn't need to ask project
>teams to do any huge change. But still, we found there are definitely some
>improvements that we can do to better bridge users, ops, and developers.
>You might find some information here didn't give you a clear answer. And
>that's because of we still under open discussion for this. And I assume we
>gonna keep finding actions from discussions that we can do right away. We
>will try to avoid that we have to do the exact same session with the same
>argument over and over again.
>So please give your feedback, any idea, or give us your help if you also
>care about this.

Yes, I think you are right.  My simple suggestion is above: just add some
best practices to the governance-sigs page.