[k8s] K8s-SIG-OpenStack Update

Chris Hoge chris at openstack.org
Mon Dec 10 19:33:29 UTC 2018

Hi everyone, a quick update on SIG-OpenStack/K8s as we head into KubeCon. To
start with, today David and I are at the contributors summit and will be
available to catch up on any topics you're interested in personally. The
only other event we have scheduled for KubeCon is the SIG Intro
session[1], Tuesday at 2:35 PM in room 3A/B. Given the smaller turnout
for the deep-dive session in Copenhagen, we opted to skip the deep dive
session this time around. As such, the first half of the intro will
serve as the official SIG-Update, then we will reserve the end of the
time for collaboration and planning. If you're involved or interested
in SIG-OpenStack at all, please be sure to make this session.

Following up from the OpenStack Summit, we had a productive planning
session and set a number of goals and tasks[2]. Top at the list is the
rotation of the SIG leadership. We're currently accepting nominations to
replace David Lyle and Robert Morse. Many thanks to both for serving this
last year. Currently we have nominations for

* Flavio Percoco
* Melvin Hillsman

If you would like to be considered for SIG leadership, or would like to
nominate someone, please do so in this thread or personally to me.

Another item on the agenda is the rebooting of the SIG-OpenStack/K8s
meetings. We will return the previously scheduled time of Wednesdays at 4
PM PT, starting January 9. I'll be sending out agendas and reminders as
we get closer to the date, and will be asking some sub-project owners to
attend and contribute updates.

Work on the cloud provider and associated code has been moving well, and
the external provider has moved well beyond the capabilities of the
now-deprecated in-tree provider. If you haven't started your migration
plan off of the in-tree code, please start doing so now. We're targeting
full removal in 2019.

The OpenStack provider for the new Cluster API has started, and we are
looking for more developers to get involved. This, and a possible Ironic
provider, are important for the SIG to be involved with in the coming
year. If SIG-Cluster-Lifecycle reaches its goals, the Cluster API will be
one of the most valuable developments for operators and users in 2019.

Finally, I continue to engage with SIG-Cloud-Provider as a co-lead to
advocate for consistent provider development. One of the original goals
was to wind down all provider SIGS. However, as the SIGs move beyond just
provider code to larger support of a user and developer community, this
plan is being reconsidered. I'll keep you updated on the developments.

Thanks to everyone for your ongoing contributions, and I'm looking
forward to seeing the folks who are attending KubeCon in Seattle.

-Chris

[1] Intro OpenStack SIG: https://sched.co/Grbk
[2] SIG-K8s Berlin Summit Session: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/sig-k8s-2018-berlin-summit