[ironic] Time to discuss clean/deploy steps

Julia Kreger juliaashleykreger at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 16:02:08 UTC 2018

Following up from our discussion:

Present:
dtantsur
rloo
mgoddard
jaypipes
TheJulia
stendukler
iurygregoy

Consensuses:
* The "holding" state seems generally useful to operators and we should
implement that, likely as an RFE since the needful actions and steps to be
reached with a running ramdisk are fairly clear.
* An API may make sense for some users, but the caveats and issues are
fairly expansive. Largely because for good usability, we would need to
cache, and that cache may no longer be valid or not valid for even the next
run.
* We need to revise our documentation to be a little more clear regarding
cleaning steps so it is easier to find and understand, since we already
document our default steps. Vendor hardware manager modules should do the
same, provide documentation on the steps, and caveats to use.
** The same essentially applies to deploy steps, we will need to ensure
that is properly documented to make everyone's lives easier.
* We agreed that the team likely does not need to implement this API at
this time. This is largely due to all of these possible caveats and
exception handling that would be needed to provide a full picture of the
available clean/deploy step universe for third party hardware managers.
* We agreed it was useful to finally talk via a higher bandwidth medium
since we've not been able to reach consensus on this functionality via irc
or review.

Action Items:
* TheJulia to look at the documentation and revise it over the holidays to
try and be a little more clear and concise about cleaning and steps.
* TheJulia, or whomever beats her to it, to update the spec to basically
represent the above consensuses and change the target folder to backlog
instead of approved and not-implemented. Spec will be free for anyone who
wishes to implement the feature, however the team