[octavia] Routing between lb-mgmt-net and amphora

Paul Bourke paul.bourke at oracle.com
Fri Dec 7 14:56:28 UTC 2018

Ok, so in my case, I've booted a test cirros VM on lb-mgmt-net, it gets
assigned an IP of 172.18.2.126. The goal is to be able to ping this IP
directly from the control plane.

I create a port in neutron: http://paste.openstack.org/show/736821/

I log onto the network node that's hosting the dhcp namespace for this
node: http://paste.openstack.org/show/736823/

I then run the following command lifted from devstack, with my port info
subbed in:

# ovs-vsctl -- --may-exist add-port ${OVS_BRIDGE:-br-int} o-hm0 -- set
Interface o-hm0 type=internal -- set Interface o-hm0
external-ids:iface-status=active -- set Interface o-hm0
external-ids:attached-mac=$MGMT_PORT_MAC -- set Interface o-hm0
external-ids:iface-id=$MGMT_PORT_ID -- set Interface o-hm0
external-ids:skip_cleanup=true

Here's the output of 'ovs-vsctl show' at this point:
http://paste.openstack.org/show/736826/

Note that the tap device for the VM (tap6440048f-d2) has tag 3. However,
if I try to add 'tag=3' to the above add-port command it just assigns
the port the dead tag 4095.

So at the point I have a new interface created, o-hm0, with a status of
DOWN. It's on br-int, but I can't ping the instance at 172.18.2.126. I
also assume I need to add a static route of some form on the node,
though no attempts so far have resulted in being able to ping.

Would be very grateful if you could revise these commands and let know
if they deviate from what you're doing.

-Paul