[tc][all] Train Community Goals

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 22:12:04 UTC 2018

On 12/6/2018 9:15 AM, Lance Bragstad wrote:
> Today in the TC meeting, we discussed the status of the three candidate
> goals [0]. Ultimately, we as the TC, are wondering who would be willing
> to drive the goal work.
>
> Having a champion step up early on will help us get answers to questions
> about the feasibility of the goal, it's impact across OpenStack, among
> other things that will help us, as a community, make an informed decision.
>
> Remember, championing a goal doesn't need to fall on a single
> individual. With proper communication, work can be spread out to lighten
> the load.
>
> What I'd like is to open this up to the community and see who would be
> willing to drive the proposed goals. If you have any questions about
> championing a goal, please don't hesitate to swing by #openstack-tc, or
> you can ping me privately.

Regarding the legacy/OSC one, there was a TODO from Berlin for Monty and
I think dtantsur (volunteered by Monty) to do some documentation (or
something) about what some of this would look like? If that isn't done,
it might be good to get done first to help make an informed decision.

Otherwise my recollection was the same as Doug's and that we need to be
working on closing gaps in OSC regardless of what the underlying code is
doing (using the SDK or e.g. python-novaclient). Once that is done we
can start working on shifting the underlying stuff from legacy clients
to SDK.

To make that more digestible, I would also suggest that the goal could
aim for some specific release of compatibility as a minimum, e.g. make
sure OSC supports all compute API microversions up through Mitaka since
lots of clouds are still running Mitaka*. Trying to scope this to "let's
get parity up to what the server supported 2 years ago" rather than all
of it and fail would be beneficial for projects with bigger gaps.

*In fact, according to https://www.openstack.org/analytics Mitaka is the
#1 release being used in deployments right now.

Matt