[sdk] Establishing SDK Validation Baseline

Melvin Hillsman mrhillsman at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 18:10:16 UTC 2018

Hi everyone,

We have spent some time working to get an idea of what official SDKs would
look like. We had some sessions during the Berlin summit[0][1] and there
was a lot of great feedback.

Currently the following SDKs are generally considered usable for their
respective language; there are others of course:

openstacksdk (Python)
gophercloud (Go)
pkgcloud (JavaScript)
openstack4j (Java)
rust-openstack (Rust)
fog-openstack (Ruby)
php-opencloud (PHP)

After many discussions it seems SDK validation essentially should be about
confirming cloud state pre/post SDK interaction rather than API support. An
example is that when I use pkgcloud and ask that a VM be created, does the
VM exist, in the way I asked it exist, rather than are there specific API
calls that are being hit along the way to creating my VM.

I am putting this email out to keep the community informed of what has been
discussed in this space but also and most importantly to get feedback and
support for this work. It would be great to get a set of official and
community SDKs, get them setup with CI testing for validation (not changing
their current CI for unit/functional/acceptance testing; unless asked to
help do this), and connect the results to the updated project navigator SDK
section. A list of scenarios has been provided as a good starting point for
cloud state checks.[2]

Essentially the proposal is to deploy OpenStack from upstream (devstack or
other), stand up a VM within the cloud, grab all the SDKs, run acceptance
tests, report pass/fail results, update project navigator. Of course there
are details to be worked out and I do have a few questions that I hope
would help get everyone interested on the same page via this thread.

   1. Does this make sense?

   1. Would folks be interested in a SDK SIG or does it make more sense to
   request an item on the API SIG's agenda?

   1. Bi-weekly discussions a good cadence?

   1. Who is interested in tackling this together?

[0] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/BER-better-expose-what-we-produce
[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/BER-sdk-certification
[2]
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cdzFeV5I4Wk9FK57yqQmp5JJdGfKzEOdB3Vtt9vnVJM