[ops] Anyone using ScaleIO block storage?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Dec 6 15:58:13 UTC 2018

On 2018-12-06 15:24:37 +0000 (+0000), Balázs Gibizer wrote:
[...]
> In order to boot bare metal instance from ScaleIO volume, the BIOS
> should be able to act as ScaleIO client, which will likely never
> happen. ScaleIO used to have a capability to expose the volumes
> over standard iSCSI, but this capability has been removed long
> time ago. As this was a feature in the past, making Dell/EMC to
> re-introduce it may not be completely impossible if there is high
> enough interest for that. However, this would vanish the power of
> the proprietary protocol which let the client to balance the load
> towards multiple servers.
[...]

You'd only need iSCSI support for bootstrapping though, right? Once
you're able to boot a ramdisk with the ScaleIO (my friends at EMC
would want me to remind everyone it's called "VFlexOS" now) driver
it should be able to pivot to their proprietary protocol. In theory
some running service on the network could simply act as an iSCSI
proxy for that limited purpose.
--
Jeremy Stanley