Anyone using ScaleIO block storage?

Balázs Gibizer balazs.gibizer at ericsson.com
Thu Dec 6 15:24:37 UTC 2018

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 10:57 PM, Kimball (US), Conrad
<conrad.kimball at boeing.com> wrote:
> Is anyone using ScaleIO (from Dell EMC) as a Cinder storage provider?
>  What has been your experience with it, and at what scale?

My employer has multiple customers using our OpenStack based cloud
solution with ScaleIO as volume backend. These customers are mostly
telco operators
running virtual network functions in their cloud, but there are
customers using the cloud for other non telco IT purpose too. There are
various types
and flavors of the ScaleIO deployments at these customers, including
low footprint deployment providing nx100 GiB raw capacity with small
number of
servers, medium capacity ultra HA systems with nx10 servers using
multiple protection domains and fault sets, high capacity systems with
petabyte
range raw capacity, hyperconverged systems running storage and compute
services on the same servers. The general feedback from the customers
are
positive, we did not hear about performance or stability issues.

However, one common property of these customers and deployments that
none of them handle bare metal instances, therefore, we do not have
experience
with that. In order to boot bare metal instance from ScaleIO volume,
the BIOS should be able to act as ScaleIO client, which will likely
never happen.
ScaleIO used to have a capability to expose the volumes over standard
iSCSI, but this capability has been removed long time ago. As this was
a feature
in the past, making Dell/EMC to re-introduce it may not be completely
impossible if there is high enough interest for that. However, this
would vanish
the power of the proprietary protocol which let the client to balance
the load towards multiple servers.

Cheers,
gibi