Anyone using ScaleIO block storage?

Kimball (US), Conrad conrad.kimball at boeing.com
Wed Dec 5 21:57:06 UTC 2018

Is anyone using ScaleIO (from Dell EMC) as a Cinder storage provider?  What has been your experience with it, and at what scale?

Our enterprise storage team is moving to ScaleIO and wants our OpenStack deployments to use it, so I'm looking for real life experiences to calibrate vendor stories of wonderfulness.

One concern I do have is that it uses a proprietary protocol that in turn requires a proprietary "data client".  For VM hosting this data client can be installed in the compute node host OS, but seems like we wouldn't be able to boot a bare-metal instance from a ScaleIO-backed Cinder volume.

Conrad Kimball
Associate Technical Fellow
Enterprise Architecture
Chief Architect, Enterprise Cloud Services
conrad.kimball at boeing.com<mailto:conrad.kimball at boeing.com>