[tripleo] [validations] Replacement of undercloud_conf module

Florian Fuchs flfuchs at redhat.com
Wed Dec 5 09:36:44 UTC 2018

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 10:20 PM Dan Prince <dprince at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2018-12-04 at 12:54 -0500, Emilien Macchi wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Context: https://bugs.launchpad.net/tripleo/+bug/1805825
> >
> > Today I randomly found this module:
> > https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-validations/blob/d21e7fa30f9be15bb980279197dc6c5206f38a38/validations/library/undercloud_conf.py
> >
> > And it gave me 2 ideas, as I think we don't need this module and
> > would consider it as technical debt at this point:
> > - it's relying on a file, which isn't super safe and flexible IMHO.
>
> We still use undercloud.conf though right? Why is it not safe (the data
> has to be stored somewhere right)?
>
> > - a lot of validations rely on Hieradata which isn't safe either, we
> > saw it with the Containerized Undercloud.
>
> Why is this not safe?
>
> I commented on the LP you linked but it seems to me that a simple fix
> would be to set the same hiera setting we used before so that the
> location of the undercloud.conf is known. We still use and support
> hiera for the Undercloud. It would be a simple matter to set this in an
> undercloud service via t-h-t. If you wanted to you could even cache a
> copy of the used version somewhere and then consume it that way right?

I guess this is pretty much what's happening in this patch (at least partly):

  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/614470/

However, I agree with Emilien that it's a good idea to remove the
dependency on puppet/hieradata in favor of ansibles vars.

> Dan
>

> > So I propose that:
> > - we export require parameters via the Heat templates into Ansible
> > variables
> > - we consume these variables from tripleo-validations (can be in the
> > inventory or a dedicated var file for validations).

Since tripleo-validations consume the inventory with every validation
run anyway, I'm slightly in favor of storing the variables there
instead of an extra validations file.

Florian