[Nova] Increase size limits for user data

Michael Johnson johnsomor at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 22:04:00 UTC 2018

The limited size of user_data (not even a floppy disk worth of space)
is why Octavia has not used it either. We have used a, now deprecated,
feature of config drive and nova.

So, I am in full support of solving this problem.

I would also like to request that we implement this in a way that we
can secure the content. We use the config drive mechanism to load
per-instance certificates and keys into the instance at boot time and
would like to continue to use this mechanism to "seed" the instance.
Our current mechanism stores the data along with the instance image,
which means it is as protected as the OS image we boot.

As we design the future, it would be awesome if we can provide the
same or better level of protection for that content.

Michael