[tc] Adapting office hours schedule to demand

Lance Bragstad lbragstad at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 17:53:30 UTC 2018

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 9:47 AM Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A while ago, the Technical Committee designated specific hours in the
> week where members would make extra effort to be around on #openstack-tc
> on IRC, so that community members looking for answers to their questions
> or wanting to engage can find a time convenient for them and a critical
> mass of TC members around. We currently have 3 weekly spots:
>
> - 09:00 UTC on Tuesdays
> - 01:00 UTC on Wednesdays
> - 15:00 UTC on Thursdays
>
> But after a few months it appears that:
>
> 1/ nobody really comes on channel at office hour time to ask questions.
> We had a questions on the #openstack-tc IRC channel, but I wouldn't say
> people take benefit of the synced time
>
> 2/ some office hours (most notably the 01:00 UTC on Wednesdays, but also
> to a lesser extent the 09:00 UTC on Tuesdays) end up just being a couple
> of TC members present

Conversely, office hours are relatively low bandwidth, IMO. Unless there is
an active discussion, I'm usually working on something else and checking
the channel intermittently. That said, I don't think it's a huge
inconveince to monitor the channel for an hour in the event someone does
swing by.

> So the schedule is definitely not reaching its objectives, and as such
> may be a bit overkill. I was also wondering if this is not a case where
> the offer is hurting the demand -- by having so many office hour spots
> around, nobody considers them special.
>
> Should we:
>
> - Reduce office hours to one or two per week, possibly rotating times
>
> - Dump the whole idea and just encourage people to ask questions at any
> time on #openstack-tc, and get asynchronous answers

I completely agree that we should encourage people to come talk to us at
any time, but I think office hours hold us accountable for being present.
We're doing our part by making sure we're available.