[tc] Adapting office hours schedule to demand

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Dec 4 15:45:20 UTC 2018

Hi,

A while ago, the Technical Committee designated specific hours in the
week where members would make extra effort to be around on #openstack-tc
on IRC, so that community members looking for answers to their questions
or wanting to engage can find a time convenient for them and a critical
mass of TC members around. We currently have 3 weekly spots:

- 09:00 UTC on Tuesdays
- 01:00 UTC on Wednesdays
- 15:00 UTC on Thursdays

But after a few months it appears that:

1/ nobody really comes on channel at office hour time to ask questions.
We had a questions on the #openstack-tc IRC channel, but I wouldn't say
people take benefit of the synced time

2/ some office hours (most notably the 01:00 UTC on Wednesdays, but also
to a lesser extent the 09:00 UTC on Tuesdays) end up just being a couple
of TC members present

So the schedule is definitely not reaching its objectives, and as such
may be a bit overkill. I was also wondering if this is not a case where
the offer is hurting the demand -- by having so many office hour spots
around, nobody considers them special.

Should we:

- Reduce office hours to one or two per week, possibly rotating times

- Dump the whole idea and just encourage people to ask questions at any
time on #openstack-tc, and get asynchronous answers

- Keep it as-is, it still has the side benefit of triggering spikes of
TC member activity

Thoughts ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)