[all] Etcd as DLM

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 13:47:37 UTC 2018

On 12/04/2018 08:15 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Julia Kreger wrote:
>> Indeed it is a considered a base service, but I'm unaware of why it
>> was decided to not have any abstraction layer on top. That sort of
>> defeats the adoption of tooz as a standard in the community. Plus with
>> the rest of our code bases, we have a number of similar or identical
>> patterns and it would be ideal to have a single library providing the
>> overall interface for the purposes of consistency. Could you provide
>> some more background on that decision?
>
> Dims can probably summarize it better than I can do.
>
> When we were discussing adding a DLM as a base service, we had a lot of
> discussion at several events and on several threads weighing that option
> (a "tooz-compatible DLM" vs. "etcd"). IIRC the final decision had to do
> with leveraging specific etcd features vs. using the smallest common
> denominator, while we expect everyone to be deploying etcd.
>
>> I guess what I'd really like to see is an oslo.db interface into etcd3.
>
> Not sure that is what you're looking for, but the concept of an oslo.db
> interface to a key-value store was explored by a research team and the
> FEMDC WG (Fog/Edge/Massively-distributed Clouds), in the context of
> distributing Nova data around. Their ROME oslo.db driver PoC was using
> Redis, but I think it could be adapted to use etcd quite easily.

Note that it's not appropriate to replace *all* use of an RDBMS in
OpenStack-land with etcd. I hope I wasn't misunderstood in my statement
earlier.

Just *some* use cases are better served by a key/value store, and
etcd3's transactions and watches are a great tool for solving *some* use
cases -- but definitely not all :)

Anyway, just making sure nobody's going to accuse me of saying OpenStack
should abandon all RDBMS use for a KVS. :)

Best,
-jay