[openstack-dev] [nova][stable] Preparing for ocata-em (extended maintenance)

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 16:21:27 UTC 2018

Per the other thread on this [1] I've created an etherpad [2] to track
what needs to happen to get nova's stable/ocata branch ready for
Extended Maintenance [3] which means we need to flush our existing Ocata
backports that we want in the final Ocata release before tagging the
branch as ocata-em, after which point we won't do releases from that
branch anymore.

The etherpad lists each open ocata backport along with any of its
related backports on newer branches like pike/queens/etc. Since we need
the backports to go in order, we need to review and merge the changes on
the newer branches first. With the state of the gate lately, we really
can't sit on our hands here because it will probably take up to a week
just to merge all of the changes for each branch.

Once the Ocata backports are flushed through, we'll cut the final
release and tag the branch as being in extended maintenance.

Do we want to coordinate a review day next week for the
nova-stable-maint core team, like Tuesday, or just trust that you all
know who you are and will help out as necessary in getting these reviews
done? Non-stable cores are also welcome to help review here to make sure
we're not missing something, which is also a good way to get noticed as
caring about stable branches and eventually get you on the stable maint
core team.

[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-September/thread.html#134810
[2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/nova-ocata-em