[openstack-dev] [ptl][release] Proposed changes for cycle-with-milestones deliverables

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Wed Sep 26 18:26:45 UTC 2018

Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> writes:

> On 2018-09-26 09:22:30 -0500 (-0500), Sean McGinnis wrote:
> [...]
>> It tests the release automation machinery to identify problems
>> before the RC and final release crunch time.
> [...]
>
> More to the point, it helped spot changes to projects which made it
> impossible to generate and publish their release artifacts. Coverage
> has improved for finding these issues before merging now, as well as
> in flight tests on proposed releases, making the risk lower than it
> used to be.

The new set of packaging jobs that are part of the
publish-to-pypi-python3 project template also include a check queue job
that runs when any of the packaging files (setup.*, README.rst, etc.)
are modified. That should give us an even earlier warning of any
packaging failures.

Since all python projects will soon use the same release jobs, we will
know that the job is working in general based on other releases
(including more liberal use of our test repository before big
deadlines).

Doug