[openstack-dev] [tripleo] OVB 1.0 and Upcoming Changes

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Wed Sep 26 16:04:03 UTC 2018

(this is a reprint of a blog post I just made. I'm sending it here
explicitly too because most (maybe all) of the major users are here. See
also http://blog.nemebean.com/content/ovb-10-and-upcoming-changes)

The time has come to declare a 1.0 version for OVB. There are a couple
of reasons for this:

1. OVB has been stable for quite a while
2. It's time to start dropping support for ancient behaviors/clouds

The first is somewhat self-explanatory. Since its inception, I have
attempted to maintain backward compatibility to the earliest deployments
of OVB. This hasn't always been 100% successful, but when
incompatibilities were introduced they were considered bugs that had to
be fixed. At this point the OVB interface has been stable for a
significant period of time and it's time to lock that in.

However, on that note it is also time to start dropping support for some
of those earliest environments. The limitations of the original
architecture make it more and more difficult to implement new features
and there are very few to no users still relying on it. Declaring a 1.0
and creating a stable branch for it should allow us to move forward with
new features while still providing a fallback for anyone who might still
be using OVB on a Kilo-based cloud (for example). I'm not aware of any
such users, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Specifically, the following changes are expected for OVB 2.0:

* Minimum host cloud version of Newton. This allows us to default to
using Neutron port-security, which will simplify the configuration
matrix immensely.
* Drop support for parameters in environment files. All OVB
configuration environment files should be using parameter_defaults now
anyway, and some upcoming features require us to force the switch. This
shouldn't be too painful as it mostly requires
s/parameters:/parameter_defaults:/ in any existing environments.
* Part of the previous point is a change to how ports and networks are
created. This means that if users have created custom port or network
layouts they will need to update their templates to reflect the new way
of passing in network details. I don't know that anyone has done this,
so I expect the impact to be small.

The primary motivation for these changes is the work to support routed
networks in OVB[1]. It requires customization of some networks that were
hard-coded in the initial version of OVB, which means that making them
configurable without breaking compatibility would be
difficult/impossible. Since the necessary changes should only break very
old style deployments, I feel it is time to make a clean cut and move on
from them. As I noted earlier, I don't believe this will actually affect
many OVB users, if any.

If these changes do sound like they may break you, please contact me
ASAP. It would be a good idea to test your use-case against the
routed-networks branch[1] to make sure it still works. If so, great!
There's nothing to do. That branch already includes most of the breaking
changes. If not, we can investigate how to maintain compatibility, or if
that's not possible you may need to continue using the 1.0 branch of OVB
which will exist indefinitely for users who still absolutely need the
old behaviors and can't move forward for any reason. There is currently
no specific timeline for when these changes will merge back to master,
but I hope to get it done in the relatively near future. Don't
procrastinate. :-)

Some of these changes have been coming for a while - the lack of
port-security in the default templates is starting to cause more grief
than maintaining backward compatibility saves. The routed networks
architecture is a realization of the original goal for OVB, which is to
deploy arbitrarily complex environments for testing deployment tools. If
you want some geek porn, check out this network diagram[2] for routed
networks. It's pretty cool to be able to deploy such a complex
environment with a couple of configuration files and a single command.
Once it is possible to customize all the networks it should be possible
to deploy just about any environment imaginable (challenge accepted...
;-). This is a significant milestone for OVB and I look forward to
seeing it in action.

-Ben

1:
https://github.com/cybertron/openstack-virtual-baremetal/tree/routed-networks