[openstack-dev] [storyboard] why use different "bug" tags per project?

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Wed Sep 26 14:45:21 UTC 2018

On 9/26/18 8:20 AM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2018-09-26 00:50:16 -0600 (-0600), Chris Friesen wrote:
>> At the PTG, it was suggested that each project should tag their bugs with
>> "<project>-bug" to avoid tags being "leaked" across projects, or something
>> like that.
>>
>> Could someone elaborate on why this was recommended?  It seems to me that
>> it'd be better for all projects to just use the "bug" tag for consistency.
>>
>> If you want to get all bugs in a specific project it would be pretty easy to
>> search for stories with a tag of "bug" and a project of "X".
>
> Because stories are a cross-project concept and tags are applied to
> the story, it's possible for a story with tasks for both
> openstack/nova and openstack/cinder projects to represent a bug for
> one and a new feature for the other. If they're tagged nova-bug and
> cinder-feature then that would allow them to match the queries those
> teams have defined for their worklists, boards, et cetera. It's of
> course possible to just hand-wave that these intersections are rare
> enough to ignore and go ahead and use generic story tags, but the
> recommendation is there to allow teams to avoid disagreements in
> such cases.

Would it be possible to automate that tagging on import? Essentially tag
every lp bug that is not wishlist with $PROJECT-bug and wishlists with
$PROJECT-feature. Otherwise someone has to go through and re-categorize
everything in Storyboard.

I don't know if everyone would want that, but if this is the recommended
practice I would want it for Oslo.