[openstack-dev] [Swift] Redhat Research

Clay Gerrard clay.gerrard at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 13:54:46 UTC 2018

In one of the Swift sessions at the Denver PTG Doug Hellman suggested there
are some programs in RedHat that work with university graduate students on
doing computer science research [1] which might be appropriate for certain
kinds of work on some parts of OpenStack.

Swift has solved a few interesting mathy sort problems over the years,
we've got a few things still left to tackle.  Coming up we've got container
sharding concensus, LOSF slab file compaction, unified consistency engine
RPC, and that troubling little golang fork/rewrite abandonware [2].

Probably others too.

I field questions about how swift works 8-10 times a year from university
students apparently doing some sort of analysis on Swift related to the
course work... it never occurred to me I might be able to suggested
something they might think on which would be useful?

I don't really have the capacity or the know how to pursue it further than
this, any one have any ideas or experience along these lines?

-clayg

1. https://research.redhat.com/
2. https://github.com/troubling/hummingbird