[openstack-dev] [penstack-dev]Discussion about the future of OpenStack in China

Zhipeng Huang zhipengh512 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 23:25:52 UTC 2018

watcher is known by some, but I don't think Masakari is

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 5:47 AM Matt Riedemann <mriedemos at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/24/2018 12:12 PM, Jay Pipes wrote:
> > There were a couple points that I did manage to decipher, though. One
> > thing that both articles seemed to say was that OpenStack doesn't meet
> > public (AWS-ish) cloud use cases and OpenStack doesn't compare favorably
> > to VMWare either.
>
> Yeah I picked up on that also - trying to be all things to all people
> means we do less well at any single thing. No surprises there.
>

> > Is there a large contingent of Chinese OpenStack users that expect
> > OpenStack to be a free (as in beer) version of VMware technology?
> >
> > What are the 3 most important features that Chinese OpenStack users
> > would like to see included in OpenStack projects?
>
> Yeah I picked up on a few things as well. The article was talking about
> gaps in upstream services:
>
> a) they did a bunch of work on trove for their dbaas solution, but did
> they contribute any of that work?
>
> b) they mentioned a lack of DRS and HA support, but didn't mention the
> Watcher or Masakari projects - maybe they didn't know they exist?
>
> --
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt

Zhipeng (Howard) Huang

Standard Engineer
IT Standard & Patent/IT Product Line
Huawei Technologies Co,. Ltd
Email: huangzhipeng at huawei.com
Office: Huawei Industrial Base, Longgang, Shenzhen

(Previous)
Research Assistant
Mobile Ad-Hoc Network Lab, Calit2
University of California, Irvine
Email: zhipengh at uci.edu
Office: Calit2 Building Room 2402

OpenStack, OPNFV, OpenDaylight, OpenCompute Aficionado