[openstack-dev] [goals][upgrade-checkers] Week R-29 Update

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 20:53:50 UTC 2018

Updates for this week:

* As bnemec noted in the last update [1], he's making some progress with
the oslo.upgradecheck library. He's retrofitting the nova-status upgrade
check code to use the library and has a patch up for designate to use it.

* The only two projects that I'm aware of with patches up at this point
are monasca [2] and designate [3]. The monasca one is tricky because as
I've found going through release notes for some projects, they don't
really have any major upgrade impacts so writing checks is not obvious.
I don't have a great solution here. What monasca has done is add the
framework with a noop check. If others are in the same situation, I'd
like to hear your thoughts on what you think makes sense here. The
alternative is these projects opt out of the goal for Stein and just add
the check code later when it makes sense (but people might forget or not
care to do that later if it's not a goal).

* The reference docs I wrote for writing upgrade checks is published now
[4]. As I've been answering some questions in storyboard and IRC, it's
obvious that I need to add some FAQs into those docs because I've taken
some of this for granted on how it works in nova, so I'll push a docs
change for some of that as well and link it back into the story.

As always, feel free to reach out to me with any questions or issues you
might have with completing this goal (or just getting started).

[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-September/134972.html
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/603465/
[3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/604430/