[openstack-dev] [docs][cinder] about cinder volume qos

John Griffith john.griffith8 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 16:58:32 UTC 2018

On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 2:22 PM Jay S Bryant <jungleboyj at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/10/2018 7:17 AM, Rambo wrote:
>
> Hi,all
>
>       At first,I find it is supported that we can define hard performance
> limits for each volume in doc.openstack.org[1].But only can define hard
> performance limits for each volume type in fact. Another, the note"As of
> the Nova 18.0.0 Rocky release, front end QoS settings are only supported
> when using the libvirt driver.",in fact, we have supported the front end
> QoS settings when using the libvirt driver previous. Is the document
> wrong?Can you tell me more about this ?Thank you very much.
>
> [1]
> https://docs.openstack.org/cinder/latest/admin/blockstorage-basic-volume-qos.html
>

> Rambo,
>
> The performance limits are limited to a volume type as you need to have a
> volume type to be able to associate a QoS type with it.  So, that makes
> sense.
>
> As for the documentation, it is a little confusing the way that is worded
> but it isn't wrong.  So, QoS support thus far, including Nova 18.0.0, front
> end QoS setting only works with the libvirt driver.  I don't interpret that
> as meaning that there wasn't QoS support before that.

Right, the point is that now it's listed as supported ONLY on libvirt, as
opposed to in the past it may have been supported on other hypervisors like
hyper-v, xen etc.  I don't know any of the details around how well those
other implementations worked or what decisions were made but I just read
the update as noting that currently only libvirt is supported, but not that
anything has changed there.