[openstack-dev] Fwd: Denver Ops Meetup post-mortem

Chris Morgan mihalis68 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 20:46:32 UTC 2018

The issue I ran into with IRC was a bit more obscure. "real IRC" is
entirely blocked from all networks provided to me by my employer (even the
office wifi).

The web interface I was using (irccloud) didn't work for nickname
registration either.

When trying real (non-web-wrapped) IRC from my laptop via an LTE hotspot it
also failed. We eventually worked out that it's because Freenode has
blacklisted large IP ranges including my AT&T service.

Can't connect unless authenticated, can't register nickname for auth
because not connected.

The answer in that case is to register the nickname on
http://webchat.freenode.net

This "chicken and egg" problem is explained here:
https://superuser.com/questions/1220409/irc-how-to-register-on-freenode-using-hexchat-when-i-get-disconnected-immediat

Chris