[openstack-dev] [election][tc]Question for candidates about global reachout

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Sep 18 00:06:35 UTC 2018

On 2018-09-18 07:27:26 +0800 (+0800), Zhipeng Huang wrote:
[...]
> On another side note, there has not been a (maybe I missed) good
> "no" vote message I was looking for.
>
> A good quality "no" message could something like this in my
> opinion (and this is just one of many possibilities):
>
> "Thanks for invitation but no I would not like to use social media
> apps other than IRC. General social media apps are open to a more
> variety of people than in IRC channels and there are personalities
> or social characters that I found myself just cannot cope with.
> Moreover social media apps demands instant response, or at least
> has the expectation for one, in its nature and it would make me
> feel pressured all the time. So no thank you I would not use
> social media in any form, however if you do have good technical
> questions from the social apps, please feel free to relay to me
> and I'm glad to help when I have the bandwidth"

This seems to completely miss the reasons I personally reject such
platforms. I don't use proprietary tools or services for interacting
with our community, I avoid relying on products from companies which
attempt to track or share my location and activities for their own
profit or to report them to various government agencies, and I have
no interest in owning a "smart phone" (which some services such as
wechat outright require). At least for me, the example rejection you
proposed above is a miss on all counts...

I am plenty capable of coping with any of the "personalities or
social characters" I'm likely to encounter on those services (I'm
quite certain IRC is where you're going to find some of the worst
and *most* intolerable characters of any discussion medium). I also
am accustomed to providing a near instant response to urgent
requests in IRC, and at the same time don't feel particularly
"pressured" to do so. And I _do_ use some social media: both IRC and
mailing lists are in fact legitimate examples of social media. I'm
really not even opposed to using other forms as long as they rely on
open protocols and both the client _and_ server software are
available under a free/libre open source license.
--
Jeremy Stanley