[openstack-dev] [tc] notes from stein ptg meetings of the technical committee

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 21:07:43 UTC 2018

On 09/17/2018 04:50 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> Excerpts from Zane Bitter's message of 2018-09-17 16:12:30 -0400:

>>> So, to summarize... the TC is back to almost exactly the same point it
>>> was at right before the Project Structure Reform happened in 2014-2015
>>> (that whole Big Tent thing).
>>
>> I wouldn't go that far. There are more easy decisions than there were
>> before the reform, but there still exist hard decisions. This is perhaps
>> inevitable.
>>
>>> The Project Structure Reform occurred because the TC could not make
>>> decisions on whether projects should join OpenStack using objective
>>> criteria, and due to this, new project applicants were forced to endure
>>> long waits and subjective "graduation" reviews that could change from
>>> one TC election cycle to the next.
>>>
>>> The solution to this was to make an objective set of application
>>> criteria and remove the TC from the "Supreme Court of OpenStack" role
>>> that new applicants needed to come before and submit to the court's
>>> judgment.
>>>
>>> Many people complained that the Project Structure Reform was the TC
>>> simply abrogating responsibility for being a judgmental body.
>>>
>>> It seems that although we've now gotten rid of those objective criteria
>>> for project inclusion and gone back to the TC being a subjective
>>> judgmental body, that the TC is still not actually willing to pass
>>> judgment one way or the other on new project applicants.
>>
>> No criteria have been gotten rid of, but even after the Project
>> Structure Reform there existed criteria that were subjective. Here is a
>> thread discussing them during the last TC election:
>>
>> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-April/129622.html
>>
>> (I actually think that the perception that the criteria should be
>> entirely objective might be a contributor to the problem: when faced
>> with a subjective decision and no documentation or precedent to guide
>> them, TC members can be reluctant to choose.)
>
> I think turning the decision about which projects fit the mission
> into an entirely mechanical one would be a mistake. I would prefer
> us to use, and trust, our judgement in cases where the answer needs
> some thought.
>
> I don't remember the history quite the way Jay does, either. I
> remember us trying to base the decision more about what the team
> was doing than how the code looked or whether the implementation
> met anyone's idea of "good". That's why we retained the requirement
> that the project "aligns with the OpenStack Mission".

Hmm. I very specifically remember the incubation and graduation review
of Zaqar and the fact that over a couple cycles of TC elections, the
"advice" given by the TC about specific technical implementation details
changed, often arbitrarily, depending on who was on the TC and what day
of the week it was. In fact, I pretty vividly remember this arbitrary
nature of the architectural review being one of the primary reasons we
switched to a purely objective set of criteria.

Also, for the record, I actually wasn't referring to Adjutant
specifically when I referred in my original post to "only tangentially
related to cloud computing". I was referring to my recollection of
fairly recent history. I remember the seemingly endless debates about
whether some applicants "fit" the OpenStack ecosystem or whether the
applicant was merely trying to jump on a hype bandwagon for marketing
purposes. Again, I wasn't specifically referring to Adjutant here, so I
apologize if my words came across that way.

Best,
-jay