[openstack-dev] [election][tc]Question for candidates about global reachout

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Sep 14 20:47:57 UTC 2018

On 2018-09-14 13:52:50 -0600 (-0600), Zhipeng Huang wrote:
> This is a joint question from mnaser and me :)
>
> For the candidates who are running for tc seats, please reply to
> this email to indicate if you are open to use certain social media
> app in certain region (like Wechat in China, Line in Japan, etc.),
> in order to reach out to the OpenStack developers in that region
> and help them to connect to the upstream community as well as
> answering questions or other activities that will help. (sorry for
> the long sentence ... )
[...]

I respect that tool choices can make a difference in enabling or
improving our outreach to specific cultures. I'll commit to
personally rejecting presence on proprietary social media services
so as to demonstrate that public work can be done within our
community while relying exclusively on free/libre open source
software. I recognize the existence of the free software movement as
a distinct culture with whom we could do a better job of connecting.
If as a community we promote and embrace non-free tools we will only
continue to alienate them, so I'm happy to serve as an example that
it is possible to be an engaged and effective contributor to our
community without compromising those ideals.
--
Jeremy Stanley