[openstack-dev] [doc][i18n][infra][tc] plan for PDF and translation builds for documentation

Michel Peterson michel at redhat.com
Thu Sep 13 07:04:27 UTC 2018

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 1:09 AM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com>
wrote:

> The longer version is that we want to continue to use the existing
> tox environment in each project as the basis for the job, since
> that allows teams to control the version of python used, the
> dependencies installed, and add custom steps to their build (such
> as for pre-processing the documentation). So, the new or updated
> job will start by running "tox -e docs" as it does today. Then it
> will run Sphinx again with the instructions to build PDF output,
> and copy the results into the directory that the publish job will
> use to sync to the web server. And then it will run the scripts to
> build translated versions of the documentation as HTML, and copy
> the results into place for publishing.

Just a question out of curiosity. You mention that we still want to use the
docs environment because it allows fine grained control over how the
documentation is created. However, as I understand, the PDF output will
happen in a more standardized way and outside of that fine grained control,
right? That couldn't lead to differences in both documentations? Do we have
to even worry about that?