[openstack-dev] [Openstack-sigs] Open letter/request to TC candidates (and existing elected officials)

Melvin Hillsman mrhillsman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 23:32:48 UTC 2018

We basically spent the day focusing on two things specific to what you
bring up and are in agreement with you regarding action not just talk
around feedback and outreach. [1]

We wiped the agenda clean, discussed our availability (set reasonable
expectations), and revisited how we can be more diligent and successful
around these two principles which target your first comment, "...get their
RFE/bug list ranked from the operator community (because some of the
requests are not exclusive to public cloud), and then put pressure on the
TC to help project manage the delivery of the top issue..."

I will not get into much detail because again this response is specific to
a portion of your email so in keeping with feedback and outreach the UC is
making it a point to be intentional. We have already got action items [2]
which target the concern you raise. We have agreed to hold each other
accountable and adjusted our meeting structure to facilitate being
successful.

Not that the UC (elected members) are the only ones who can do this but we
believe it is our responsibility to; regardless of what anyone else does.
The UC is also expected to enlist others and hopefully through our efforts
others are encouraged participate and enlist others.

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/uc-stein-ptg
[2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/UC-Election-Qualifications

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 6:13 PM Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:

> On 2018-09-12 17:05:17 -0600 (-0600), Lance Bragstad wrote:
> [...]
> > IMHO, I think the point Matt is making here is more about ensuring
> > sure we have people to do what we've agreed upon, as a community,
> > as being mission critical. Enablement is imperative, but no matter
> > how good we are at it, sometimes we really just needs hands to do
> > the work.
> [...]
>
> Sure, and I'm saying that instead I think the influence of TC
> members _can_ be more valuable in finding and helping additional
> people to do these things rather than doing it all themselves, and
> it's not just about the limited number of available hours in the day
> for one person versus many. The successes goal champions experience,
> the connections they make and the elevated reputation they gain
> throughout the community during the process of these efforts builds
> new leaders for us all.
> --
> Jeremy Stanley

Kind regards,