[openstack-dev] [Openstack-sigs] Open letter/request to TC candidates (and existing elected officials)

Lance Bragstad lbragstad at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 23:05:17 UTC 2018

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 3:55 PM Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:

> On 2018-09-12 09:47:27 -0600 (-0600), Matt Riedemann wrote:
> [...]
> > So I encourage all elected TC members to work directly with the
> > various SIGs to figure out their top issue and then work on
> > managing those deliverables across the community because the TC is
> > particularly well suited to do so given the elected position.
> [...]
>
> I almost agree with you. I think the OpenStack TC members should be
> actively engaged in recruiting and enabling interested people in the
> community to do those things, but I don't think such work should be
> solely the domain of the TC and would hate to give the impression
> that you must be on the TC to have such an impact.

I agree that relaying that type of impression would be negative, but I'm
not sure this specifically would do that. I think we've been good about
letting people step up to drive initiatives without being in an elected
position [0].

IMHO, I think the point Matt is making here is more about ensuring sure we
have people to do what we've agreed upon, as a community, as being mission
critical. Enablement is imperative, but no matter how good we are at it,
sometimes we really just needs hands to do the work.

[0] Of the six goals agreed upon since we've implemented champions in
Queens, five of them have been championed by non-TC members (Chandan
championed two, in back-to-back releases).