[openstack-dev] [docs][cinder] about cinder volume qos

Jay S Bryant jungleboyj at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 20:22:22 UTC 2018

On 9/10/2018 7:17 AM, Rambo wrote:
> Hi,all
>
>       At first,I find it is supported that we can define hard
> performance limits for each volume in doc.openstack.org[1].But only
> can define hard performance limits for each volume type in fact.
> Another, the note"As of the Nova 18.0.0 Rocky release, front end QoS
> settings are only supported when using the libvirt driver.",in fact,
> we have supported the front end QoS settings when using the libvirt
> driver previous. Is the document wrong?Can you tell me more about this
> ?Thank you very much.
>
> [1]https://docs.openstack.org/cinder/latest/admin/blockstorage-basic-volume-qos.html

Rambo,

The performance limits are limited to a volume type as you need to have
a volume type to be able to associate a QoS type with it.  So, that
makes sense.

As for the documentation, it is a little confusing the way that is
worded but it isn't wrong.  So, QoS support thus far, including Nova
18.0.0, front end QoS setting only works with the libvirt driver.  I
don't interpret that as meaning that there wasn't QoS support before that.

Jay