[openstack-dev] [election][tc] Opinion about 'PTL' tooling

Rico Lin rico.lin.guanyu at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 12:29:27 UTC 2018

On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 5:31 AM Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:

> Excerpts from jean-philippe at evrard.me's message of 2018-09-10 13:15:02
> +0200:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > In my candidacy [1], I mentioned that the TC should provide more tools
> to help the PTLs at their duties, for example to track community health.
> >
> > I have questions for the TC candidates:
> > - What is your opinion about said toolkit? Do you see a purpose for it?
> > - Do you think said toolkit should fall under the TC umbrella?
> >
> > After my discussion with Rico Lin (PTL of the Heat project, and TC
> candidate) yesterday, I am personally convinced that it would be a good
> idea, and that we should have those tools: As a PTL (but also any person
> interested to see health of projects) I wanted it and I am not alone. PTLs
> are focusing on their duties and, as a day is only composed of so few
> hours, it is possible they won't have the focus to work on said tools to
> track, in the longer term, the community.
> >
> > For me, tracking community health (and therefore a toolkit for the
> PTLs/community) is something TC should cover for good governance, and I am
> not aware of any tooling extracting metrics that can be easily visible and
> used by anyone. If each project started to have their own implementation of
> tools, it would be opposite to one of my other goals, which is the
> simplification of OpenStack.
> >
> > Thanks for reading me, and do not hesitate to ask me questions on the
> mailing lists, or in real life during the PTG!
> >
> > Regards,
> > Jean-Philippe Evrard (evrardjp)
> >
> > [1]:
> https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/election/plain/candidates/stein/TC/jean-philippe@evrard.me
> >

> We've had several different sets of scripts at different times to
> extract review statistics from gerrit. Is that the sort of thing you
> mean?
>
> What information would you find useful?

First of all, I know I'm awake because jet lag, but it's surprise to see
you all are too! Are you guys really in Denver!? or just some cardboard
cut-out I saw!

Okay, let's back to the mail.
As a PTL (not like a good one, but try to do what I can and learn from
others), I do see the benifit to have tool kit
to properly alarm (or show to) PTL about how people been in projects. As
checking the health of projects been a big task for TCs for last cycle, I
believe this might be something we can further discussion in that TCs task.

Right now we're asking TCs to asisit team to get a health report. But if we
can provide a list of tools that mgith help PTLs (or cores) to generate
some information to see the health situation. so PTLs can see how's things
going after they adjust their strategies. For toolkits, I believe there're
already something we can collect for PTLs? So we can use what already there
and make sure we don't over taken everyone's time for this task.
I aware there are challenges when we talk about how to make nwe-join people
feel good and how can we help PTLs (with experiences or not) to adjust
their way or to get better communications cross projects so PTLs will get a
chances to share and learn from others if they see any improvement also
applied to their team as well.

Also I agree with Doug that it's improtant to bring this idea on table and
discuss about what exactly information we want to get from data. And what
information TCs feel helpful to track health condition.

Now this bring me some idea of suggestion for all that I think it's time to
renew some documentation in
https://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/ptl.html