[openstack-dev] [tripleo] quickstart for humans

Wesley Hayutin whayutin at redhat.com
Wed Sep 5 16:58:11 UTC 2018

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 7:12 AM Steven Hardy <shardy at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 3:28 PM, Honza Pokorny <honza at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > Over the last few months, it seems that tripleo-quickstart has evolved
> > into a CI tool.  It's primarily used by computers, and not humans.
> > tripleo-quickstart is a helpful set of ansible playbooks, and a
> > collection of feature sets.  However, it's become less useful for
> > setting up development environments by humans.  For example, devmode.sh
> > was recently deprecated without a user-friendly replacement. Moreover,
> > during some informal irc conversations in #oooq, some developers even
> > mentioned the plan to merge tripleo-quickstart and tripleo-ci.
>
> I was recently directed to the reproducer-quickstart.sh script that's
> written in the logs directory for all oooq CI jobs - does that help as
> a replacement for the previous devmode interface?
>
> Not that familiar with it myself but it seems to target many of the
> use-cases you mention e.g uniform reproducer for issues, potentially
> quicker way to replicate CI results?
>
> Steve

Thanks Honza and Steve for sharing.
Steve is correctly pointing out that reproducer scripts [1] are the
upgraded version of what was known as devmode.  There are two main goals we
are trying to achieve as a CI team with regards reproducing CI.

A.  Ensure that a developer can reproduce what is executed upstream step by
step as closely as is possible to deliver a 1:1 matching result
B.  Ensure the reliability of the local run is as close to the reliability
of the upstream check job as possible.

The older devmode scripts did a rather poor job at both A and B, where the
reproducer_script will actually execute the upstream CI workflow once an
environment is provisioned.  The results should be identical as long as
there are no yum, or other network related issues.

CI is a very opinionated realm of work, a point that Jirka makes quite
well.  We have to focus on goals that are clearly defined.  The long term
goal is make TripleO very easy to use and deploy, not just make
tripleo-quickstart easy to use.

The TripleO CI team is happy to help Honza or Jason stand up a tripleo job
against the tripleo-ui repo.  At which point you should have something
testing your changes and the scripts and tools to reproduce that job.  I
never like to see an upstream repo w/o any real CI running against it.

Thanks

[1]
https://docs.openstack.org/tripleo-docs/latest/contributor/reproduce-ci.html

Wes Hayutin

Associate MANAGER

Red Hat

<https://www.redhat.com/>

whayutin at redhat.com    T: +1919 <+19197544114>4232509     IRC:  weshay
<https://red.ht/sig>

View my calendar and check my availability for meetings HERE
<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/b/1/embed?src=whayutin@redhat.com&ctz=America/New_York>