[openstack-dev] better name for placement

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Wed Sep 5 15:01:49 UTC 2018

On 09/04/2018 06:25 PM, Jay Pipes wrote:
> On 09/04/2018 12:17 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>> Excerpts from Jay Pipes's message of 2018-09-04 12:08:41 -0400:

>>> You mean if there was another Python package that used the package name
>>> "placement"?
>>>
>>> The alternative would be to make the top-level package something like
>>> os_placement instead?
>
> Either one works for me. Though I'm pretty sure that it isn't necessary.
> The reason it isn't necessary is because the stuff in the top-level
> placement package isn't meant to be imported by anything at all.

In a distro, no 2 package can hold the same file. That's forbidden. This
has nothing to do if someone has to "import placemement" or not.

Just saying this, but *not* that we should rename (I didn't spot any
conflict yet and I understand the pain it would induce). This command
returns nothing:

apt-file search placement | grep python3/dist-packages/placement

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)