[openstack-dev] [election][tc] TC nomination

Lance Bragstad lbragstad at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 21:40:19 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I'd like to submit my candidacy to be a member of the OpenStack Technical
Committee.

My involvement with OpenStack began during the Diablo release. Since then
I've participated in various parts of the community, in both upstream and
downstream roles. Today I mainly focus on authorization and identity
management.

As your elected member of the Technical Committee, I plan to continue
advocating
for cross-project initiatives and easing cross-project collaboration
wherever possible.

One area where I'm heavily invested in this type of work is improving
OpenStack's
authorization system. For example, I've championed a community goal [0],
which eases policy maintenance and upgrades for operators. I've also
contributed
to the improvement of oslo libraries, making it easier for other services
to change policies and consume authorization attributes. I believe isolating
policy from service-specific logic is crucial in letting developers securely
implement system-level and project-level APIs. Finally, I worked to revive
a thread from 2015 [1] that allows us to deliver better support for default
roles out-of-the-box [2]. This will reduce custom policies found in most
deployments, enabling better interoperability between clouds and push OpenStack
to be more self-service than it is today. There is still more work to do,
but all of this makes API protection easier to implement while giving
more functionality
and security to end-users and operators.

Based upon the few examples shared above, I think it's imperative to
approach cross-project initiatives in a hands-on manner. As a member of the
TC, I plan to spend my time helping projects close the gap on goals
accepted by the TC by contributing to them directly. Additionally, I want
to use that experience to collaborate with others and find ways to make
achieving efforts across projects more common than it is today, as opposed
to monolithic efforts that commonly result in burnout and exhaustion for a
select few people.

Tracking Rocky community goals specifically shows that 50% of projects
are still
implementing, reviewing, or have yet to start mutable configuration. 61% are
in the same boat for removing usage of mox. Some efforts take years to
successfully
complete across projects (e.g. volume multi-attach, adopting new API
versions).

Whether the initiatives are a focused effort between two projects, or
a community-wide
goal, they provide significant value to everyone consuming, deploying, or
developing the software we write. I'm running for TC because I want to do
what I can to make cross-project interaction easier through contributing
and building necessary process as a TC member.

Thanks for reading through my candidacy. Safe travels to Denver and
hopefully I'll see you at the PTG.

Lance

[0] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/goals/queens/policy-in-code.html

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/245629